||Distributed Computer Systems (DISCO) Lab
Department of Computer Science
University of Kaiserslautern
PO box 3049, 67653 Kaiserslautern, Germany
||Building 36, room 442
- Modeling and analysis of distributed systems
- Performance evaluation, Deterministic Network Calculus
- Wireless sensor networks
- Real-time systems
- Feb 2018: Meet me at MMB / WoNeCa-4 from February 26 to 28.
- Jan 2018: I am a TPC member of the 2018 International Workshop on Network Calculus at ITC30.
- Dec 2017: Paper accepted at MMB 2018.
- Nov 2017 - Apr 2018: I will be at the National University of Singapore.
- Sep 2017: Journal article in MDPI JSAN special issue on QoS in WSANs.
- Aug 2017: Paper at IEEE/AIAA Digital Avionics Conference.
- June 2017: Our SIGMETRICS paper is now available in ACM POMACS.
- Apr 2017: Paper accepted at ACM SIGMETRICS 2017!
- Jan 2017:
- Paper accepted at IEEE ICC 2017's Symposium on Communications QoS, Reliability and Modeling (CQRM).
- I was officially awarded the status of Lecturer (Dozent) in the Department of Computer Science.
- Nov 2016: Paper accepted at INFOCOM 2017! (see upcoming publications below)
- Sep 2016: Paper accepted at ValueTools 2016: a guide to the analysis of multicast flows with network calculus.
- July / Aug 2016: I defended and published my PhD thesis :-)
- June 2016: Papers accepted at QEST 2016 and at MASCOTS 2016!
- May 2016:
- I was awarded a scholarship by the Carl Zeiss Foundation to pursue my research plans as a postdoc! The grant provides funding for two years of research on network calculus at the DISCO Lab.
- I was awarded a student travel grant for ACM SIGMETRICS / IFIP Performance. Meet me there!
- April 2016:
- I won the Best Presentation Award at WoNeCa-3!
- I will present a paper at MMB 2016, give a talk at WoNeCa-3, and present the CS studies in Kaiserslautern at my high school's a career day.
- Jan 2016: Talk accepted at WoNeCa-3.
- Dec 2015: Paper accepted at GI/ITG MMB 2016.
- Oct 2015:
- Paper accepted at ValueTools 2015.
- I will be visiting Kai Lampka at Uppsala University this month.
Quality and Cost of Deterministic Network Calculus – Design and Evaluation of an Accurate and Fast Analysis , In Proc. of the ACM SIGMETRICS International Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computer Systems (SIGMETRICS 2017), June 2017. (acceptance rate 14.3%) [bibtex] [pdf]
Generalized Finitary Real-Time Calculus , In Proc. of the 36th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2017), May 2017. (acceptance rate 21%) [bibtex] [pdf]
Generalizing Network Calculus Analysis to Derive Performance Guarantees for Multicast Flows
Boosting Sensor Network Calculus by Thoroughly Bounding Cross-Traffic In Proc. of the 34th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2015), April 2015. (acceptance rate 19%) [bibtex] [pdf]
The DiscoDNC v2 – A Comprehensive Tool for Deterministic Network Calculus In Proc. of the 8th EAI International Conference on Performance Evaluation Methodologies and Tools (VALUETOOLS 2014) , December 2014. [bibtex] [pdf]
Pay Bursts Only Once Holds for (Some) Non-FIFO Systems In Proc. of the 30th IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2011), April 2011. (acceptance rate 16%) [bibtex] [pdf]
I taught the Worst-Case Analysis of Distributed Systems lecture (WoCADS, 4 ECTS) in winter term 2016/17.
Supervising tutor (TA) during the following courses
- Seminar: Distributed Computer Systems SS16
- Project: PEDS WS14/15
- Seminar: Software-Defined Networking WS14/15
- Seminar: Mobile Computing WS13/14, WS11/12
- Seminar: Distributed and Networked Systems SS14, SS11, SS10
Steffen was born in Kaiserslautern in 1986 and attended primary as well as secondary school in a small town nearby. In April 2005, Steffen started his bachelor's studies at the CS department as the first student to be admitted to the University of Kaiserslautern as a regular student before finishing secondary education. After graduating from secondary school in early 2006, he switched to studying full-time. He subsequently received his Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree in computer science in 2009. In 2010, Steffen was admitted to the CS department’s PhD program for talented students and started his research on performance evaluation of distributed systems at the DISCO lab. He obtained his Master of Science (M.Sc.) degree in 2012. Afterwards, Steffen was a full-time PhD student at the DISCO lab until his graduation. Steffen finished his PhD (Dr.-Ing.) with distinction (summa cum laude) in July 2016. Since September 2016, Steffen is a Carl-Zeiss postdoc at the DISCO lab.
Reviewer for Networking '18, INFOCOM '18, ACM TOSN, INFOCOM '17, RTAS '17, MASCOTS '16, Networking '16, INFOCOM '16, ValueTools '15, INFOCOM '15, ValueTools '14, RTSS '14, INFOCOM '14, MMB&DFT '14 and others.