The objective of this lecture is to introduce the art of performance-related modeling of complex distributed systems.
- Performance dimensioning of planned systems
- Performance control of running systems
- Quality of service guarantees in distributed systems
- Resource management in distributed systems
The focus will be on different analytical methods for performance modeling:
- Tail-bounded Network Calculus
- MGF-bounded Network Calculus
- Application examples / case studies
- Jean-Yves Le Boudec, Patrick Thiran. Network Calculus. Springer, 2001. (Also →available online)
- Cheng-Shang Chang, Performance Guarantees in Communication Networks. Springer, 2000.
- Yuming Jiang, Stochastic Network Calculus. Springer, 2008.